Our History Photos

Our History

From humble beginnings, a partnership with the Bethlehem Lutheran Church has grown to provide a gospel-centered education for many of God’s young children.

Our Roots

We can trace the roots of Lutheranism in the Kennewick area back to 1904, when a number of Lutheran families, of Norwegian descent, settled on tracts of irrigated farming land north of the Columbia River. Two years later, Lutheran families of German descent settled in the Kennewick valley and were welcomed by the Norwegians and worshiped with them.

The First Elementary School

Bethlehem Lutheran Church founded the elementary school in 1910, with the enrollment of 16 students, to provide a Christian education for the children of its members. They held their classes in the church building, and Reverend Henry Brockmann, the congregation's first resident pastor, served as the teacher. In 1914 the congregation constructed its first school near the corner of Third and Benton (then Tacoma) Streets. The one-room parish school measured 24 feet by 34 feet and cost $710.59 to build.

Our School Today

The school has occupied three campuses over its 103 year existence and moved to the present campus in December of 2011. Since that time, enrollment has continued to grow, and we are in the process of completing unfinished portions of the school. The gymnasium was completed and dedicated in May of 2013, and the school added a baseball field and a soccer field during the 2013-2014 school year. The school serves the entire Tri-Cities community by providing a high quality, Christ-centered education to students in preschool through the eighth grade.